Search This Blog

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Meet the 2013 YMCA Camp Wa Wa Segowea summer staff!


We're into the 1st session already, so it was time to sit down and meet the staff!  Here's some quick questions and answers for this years awesome Camp staff!   


Kelly Healy, counselor  18 years old and I live in Castleton NY.  

What brings you to Wa Wa?   I kind of love it here. I've been coming here for the past 2 years.  I was a CIT 2 years ago, junior counselor last year and I just love this place!

What are you looking forward to?- kind of everything. I'm excited for the campers to get here and we just have an awesome staff this year.  I think we're going to mesh really well.

What's your favorite camp activity?    The activities that we don't do every week- the gold rush, the whistle chase, things that mix it up. 

What's your hidden talent?     I can sing the alphabet backwards!

____________________________________________________________________________




Rhet Alan Amos, Property Director- A shade over 30 something and I'm currently living in beautiful Camp Segowea!  Originally I'm from a place in Australia called Cairns,in tropical North Queensland on the Great Barrier Reef.

What brings you to Wa Wa?-  I came here at the request of the camp director, Josh Scott.  I used to work with him at another camp, and there was a position opened up.  I love camping, doing what I do now, and thought why not?

Favorite part of camp so far?  The view from the front porch.  It's working really hard and then taking five minutes or mealtime to sit on this porch and enjoying the afternoon view.  

What are you looking forward to?   The fact that every kid that comes here is going to have a fantastic time and I'm hoping that every one that comes here says, wow this place looks great!  

What's your hidden talent?    Not really hidden, what you see is what you get!  I do what I can with the stuff I was given.

__________________________________________________________________________




Carly Galvin, Counselor-  20 and living in Schenectady NY.

What brings you to Wa Wa?-  It's my third summer here, so I'm here to enjoy it!, the kids, the place itself.

What's your favorite camp activity?  I really like anything that involves the waterfront, the log probably.

What are you looking forward to? Meeting new kids and seeing old faces.

What's your hidden talent?    I know sign language!

_________________________________________________________________________



Nicholas Wainwright, Counselor-  19 years old and I live in Alleghany, NY

What brings you to Wa Wa?  I was here last summer for the first time.  I just absolutely loved the experience I had here.  It's unique from either of the other two camps I worked at.  It's very small, very personalized.  You can build much better relationships with the kids because of that.  I just love the fact that we have the whole pond to ourselves.  It's pretty sweet.

What's your favorite camp activity?     I'm very big into water sports.  I love to sail, kayak, funyak, paddleboard, go swimming, bounce on the trampoline. 

What are you looking forward to?   Kids arriving, having a good cabin to start off the summer and enjoying the summer!

What's your hidden talent?       I can actually juggle, so watch out for that!



__________________________________________________________________


Mike Williams, Counselor-  19 from England

What brings you to Wa Wa?  I never had a camp experience like this, but I've worked with kids before with scouts, and I wanted to come to America.

What are you looking forward to?  The kids!  and playing football (soccer) with them, and all the outdoor activities.

What's your favorite camp activity?- I've never been to a camp like this, so I don't know yet!

What's your hidden talent?   I'm secretly very intelligent!   But I also can scream really well.  








____________________________________________________________________



Lee Vincent, Counselor-  19 from Bristol, Rhode Island.  

What brings you to Wa Wa?  I was interested in working for a camp for the summer, but Wa Wa was the only one that stood out to me as a classic American camp, how small it was, and how personal it was.  It just seemed like a very great environment.  

What are you looking forward to?   Watching the kids grow and be a part of that and seeing growth over the summer and knowing I'll be a part of that is rewarding.  

What's your favorite camp activity?- My background is around the arts, so I'm looking forward to doing arts and crafts with the kids and doing some writing and also some outdoor explorations.

What's your hidden talent?- I'm a basketball monster!  






_________________________________________________________________________




Emma, Counselor- 19, from Cheltenham in England

What brings you to Wa Wa?  I'm here for a fun summer and experiencing a different culture.

What are you looking forward to?   Teaching kids different skills and having a lot of fun in the evening entertainment.

What's your favorite camp activity?    I like having marshmallows on fire.  

What's your hidden talent?  I like making cakes!  











____________________________________________________________



Caitlyn, Kitchen staff, 20, from Bristol, Connecticut

What brings you to Wa Wa?  The experience of it all.  Something new and everything that Zach said about it was intriguing.  Being around kids all summer.

What are you looking forward to?    Just being with the kids and hopefully making a difference, even with the little things.  Hopefully bringing them back for another session or another summer.

What's your favorite camp activity?    I like the friendship circle and I think that's a good way to bring us all together and end the day on a good note.

What's your hidden talent?   I'm not the best, but I run track!  

______________________________________________________________________


Dorothy Johnson, Nurse,  56 and lives at Hanscom Air Force Base in Massachusetts

What brings you to Wa Wa?   I'll be the camp nurse here and my son will be here too.

What are you looking forward to?  The kids coming, seeing how I can help kids with their medical problems and looking for lots of kids coming to be friends with my kid.

What's your favorite camp activity?   Probably swimming, and boating and archery.

What's your hidden talent?  - I guess Organization, because I've been doing a lot of that lately!

_________________________________________________________________


Ashley Button, Counselor-  21 and from Colebrook, CT

What brings you to Wa Wa?   I've been here for 3 years and I keep coming back because the kids are awesome!

What are you looking forward to?- Everyone getting here and  camp being full again.

What's your favorite camp activity?    Staff Pillow polo and whistle chase.

What's your hidden talent?    Good at making friendship bracelets and I am a Merchant Mariner!









_________________________________________________________________


Jacob Hodos- Counselor  17 Poughkeepsie, NY

What brings you to Wa Wa?  My mom used to run it, and I want to come back as often as I can.

What are you looking forward to?  Coming back and doing the same things I've been doing my whole life and actually getting paid for it this time around!  

What's your favorite camp activity?   Whistle chase or Kingdom of the Rings.

What's your hidden talent?    I'm musical, but it's not that hidden.

_________________________________________________________________




Zachary Taylor, Waterfront Director-  21 and from Bristol, CT 

What brings you to Wa Wa?- That warm fuzzy feeling I get when I'm here.

What are you looking forward to?     Pranks!

What's your favorite camp activity?    Campfires.

What's your hidden talent?     Juggling.













_____________________________________________________________________



Doris Summerlin, Kitchen Staff,  North Carolina, 67, married and two kids, Retired

What brings you to Wa Wa?  - Came here to help Josh Scott, the camp director.

What are you looking forward to?      Cooking for the kids!

What's your favorite camp activity?    the training, because at other places we've been, we were not involved in the training.  Here, we did!

What's your hidden talent?  - I love sewing and "creeking" (looking for rocks)

_________________________________________________________________


Sharon, Ass't Camp Director/ Kitchen Staff-  46 and from Granite Falls, North Carolina

What brings you to Wa Wa? - Kids, kids kids!

Memorable Camp activity so far- Organizing the program loft, helping to clean the kitchen, collecting rocks and the Raymond Flood Zone!

What are you looking forward to?    Seeing all the kids have fun.

What's your hidden talent?   I'm crazily creative!









__________________________________________________________




Izzy Ellis, Counselor  17  from Castleton, NY.

What brings you to Wa Wa?   It's my second home.  I love it here and I love working with kids.

Memorable Camp activity so far?    That's a hard one. I like everything!  I like the Gold Rush as one of my favorite things.

What are you looking forward to?    Getting to be with everyone here.  It's fun!

What's your hidden talent?   I play 8 different musical instruments!  (Flute, piccolo, piano, guitar, fife, and drums, the trumpet and ukelele a little bit.)


__________________________________________________________________




Kirk Sinclair, LIT Director,  "29 times 2" and living in Norfolk, CT.

What brings you to Wa Wa? I was working in an after school program in Winsted, CT and part of that alliance for that after school program was the Northwest Y.  The branch director of the NW Y, Jay Cohen asked me to be a part of this.  Being part of a community and the Y being big on Community, I asked if I could work that into it somehow, and we thought the best way to do that was become the director of Leadership In Training (LIT) Program.  

What are you looking forward to?   Nurturing leadership and community into some very promising young individuals.

Memorable Camp activity so far?  I know the activity the LIT's liked the most so far was busting up the beaver dam!  I've also liked some of the moments at the flag raising, as that's a good time to talk about kindness and community to the camp as a whole.   I'm known as the "Hiking Humanitarian" here and there on the internet and kindness and community is what I'm all about, so I like it when I can talk about kindness and community.

What's your hidden talent?  - I've hiked over 20,000 miles, so hiking is my passion!




Some staff members were unavailable at the time of the interviews.  We'll be sure to get their answers shortly and post them as soon as we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment